Thursday, May 14, 2015

Painting Small Towns

Having a plein air painting buddy is a great way to push yourself to get out there, paint, and improve. Just knowing that someone is expecting me to show up adds a point of accountability forcing me out of bed when I'm tired, and making an effort to overcome my natural 'hermitiness'.

This week we met on Woodland Street again, but a few steps further north. This was my view.
"Rich Street" - oil - 11"x 14" - L. Wiedemer


I used a canvas board with super heavy gesso applied for added texture. I neglected to get in progress photos because I was hurrying in an effort to beat the heat. This time I just dove in sketching my design with thinned paint - no toning the canvas today.

By the end of our session I was baking in the sun. Next week we will try starting a half hour earlier.
I tinkered a good bit with this later in the studio. I decided to add some flower pots on the left, put a few birds on the wire, and deepened some shadows.



No comments:

Post a Comment