Thursday, February 25, 2016

Painting Naples Florida

One of the things I enjoy about plein air painting is getting the opportunity to visit  beautiful areas to paint. Earlier this week I was in Naples, Fl for the annual 3rd On Canvas plein air event. This was my first time as a 3rd On Canvas artist, but I was treated as an old friend by the organizers and other artists.
We were assigned locations and required to paint from 10 am - 4 pm Monday and Tuesday. My plan for Monday was to begin a painting in the morning and then change my view (not my location) to begin another painting in the afternoon. My strategy with this plan was to view and paint my subject with semi- consistent lighting.
It's good to have a plan. But it is better to be flexible and roll with the punches. This is what Campiellos looked like when I arrived.
 I had just gotten my rough block - in done when the staff came out and very quickly and efficiently removed the heaters and put all of the umbrellas up. So much for my plan. I could still see the bar well enough so I worked on that and decided where I wanted to put some figures. By then the sun was baking me so I was ready to have some lunch and find shade.
Still in front of Campiellos, but on the other side I chose this archway as my subject.
I was happy to have some space out out of the direct sun. This was about 80% complete when I left at 4 pm.
The next morning I made sure I arrived early to give myself plenty of time to complete the bar painting. It was drizzling when I first got there, but it cleared up pretty quickly and I was able to finish and frame the painting.
"Campiellos Bar" 11"x 14" - oil on linen covered board
So after lunch I returned to the archway. 
"Campiellos Arch" - 11"x 14" - oil on linen covered board

I received good feedback on both paintings, but in the end I chose "Campiellos Arch" to be in the auction at the Port Royal Yacht Club this coming Sunday. 
It was a great experience. I'm already looking forward to next year.


2 comments: