Monday, September 15, 2014

The SunEden Traveling Easel

Since my beloved french easel is a bit cumbersome, I decided to look for a lighter set up. So I logged onto a forum and asked some plein air artists  what they used.
My informal poll came out overwhelmingly in favor of the SunEden Traveling easel. It was priced very competitively so I pulled the trigger and ordered it. And by 'ordered it' I mean I sent the link to my husband with the message "I must have this for my birthday". He got the message. I know. Subtle.
As you can see in the video, it's super light (3.2 lbs) and compact enough to fit into a smallish bag. I would love it if they would design a bag specifically for the Traveling Easel Package. Hint, hint to SunEden. In the meantime I will make do with my Talbots bag.
The other key items I purchased in preparation to outdoor painting are a Soleil Travelers umbrella and a Mijello palette. Both were from ASW. I put velcro on the underside of the palette to stick it on the tray while I'm painting. Kind of proud of that bit of Macgyver-ism. Also it has a tight fit lid and wipes clean. If you use acrylics you can just peal the old paint off. All good features to my mind.



Next week I'm planning on joining a local plein air group as we pack up our necessaries and meet at a state park to paint. So I will let you know how how my new gear works in the field.
Here is the You Tube link for the video if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment