Monday, August 15, 2016

Cigar Box Solutions

I love to travel and paint the scenery as I go. What I don't love is lugging a lot of heavy equipment with me. Even a small paint box accommodating 8" x 10" panels takes up a sizable chunk of real estate in my suitcase and weighs more than I want to tote. And that's just the box. Then I have to decide if I'm going to need the tripod, the umbrella, solvents, how many paint tubes I require, and another box to bring the wet panels home.


After giving the whole dilemma much thought I decided to travel with a 5" x 7" paint box. I began to search for the perfect box. It had to be small, light weight, and just big enough to hold four or five small tubes of paint, a few brushes ( I cut some short to fit), a palette knife and maybe some Liquin.
My next problem was cost. I didn't want to spend close to one hundred dollars, which is the price I saw shopping online.
The solution was so simple that I don't know why more people don't do it. I searched Ebay for used cigar boxes and found one the exact size I needed for about $15 including shipping. You might find one you like for less. Then at the hobby store I bought some long pieces of balsa wood to make dividers.


I put a couple of strips on the inside of the lid to hold my panel while I paint. Two more strips inside the box make a shelf for my palette to sit on. Notice the strap attached with framing hardware? Love it!


To give myself plenty of mixing area I made a hinged palette.


It sits on top of the box while I paint. At the beach last weekend I just sat in a beach chair with my box on my lap and painted.


It worked great! I'm so pleased. So what do I do with all of my wet panels after I paint on location?
Another cigar box fit the bill perfectly.


The vertical design of this box was exactly what I needed. I glued more balsa wood strips inside to create separations. This box holds up to eleven 5" x 7" panels.
My travel painting problems are solved thanks to a couple of old cigar boxes, balsa strips, thin plywood spray painted with automotive primer, framing hardware and an old strap from a bag I no longer use. Total cost of the two boxes combined was about $30. Saving money is fun.

What are your travel painting solutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment